Hildegard of Bingen believed food nourished the soul. She recommended having one of these Hildegard spelt cookies every day to enrich and bring joy. According to Hildegard, these spelt cookies strengthen the nerves and improve the mood. However, due to their high concentration of cinnamon and nutmeg, we recommend consuming in moderation.
Hildegard cookies of joy
For Hildegard, spelt soothes the mind, and nutmeg brightens the mood. These two ingredients account for a large part of the positive effects of Hildegard spelt cookies. The addition of nutmeg has a stimulating effects, due to the essential oil myristicin. In moderate doses, myristicin serves as a mood enhancer; in large quantities it acts as a psychoactive drug.
Consider the vegan alternative of this recipe. try the vegan spelt cookies In the meantime, here’s the traditional recipe.
- 12 Tablespoon Butter for mixture
- + 1 T Butter to grease cookie sheet
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 2.5 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 rounded T spice that bring joy mix
- (mix together 1 tsp Nutmeg, 1 tsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp Cloves)
Melt butter under low heat, add sugar, honey, egg yolks, beating lightly. Add flour, salt, combine gently. Refrigerate dough after mixing for 1 hour. Remove, roll out on floured surface, cut with cookie cutter. Bake on sheet 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes.
These are known to strengthen the five senses and reduce effects of aging. They will reduce bad humors, enrich the blood and fortify the nerves, directs Hildegard.
Depending on their size, children may eat up to three Hildegard spelt cookies a day, adults may eat five. They may remove hate from the heart, assure good intelligence, reduce harmful juices (secretions) and give one a joyful spirit.
Simple eating regiment to ensure good health.
- First meal should be warm.
- Healthy people should eat later in the day
- 2-3 meals per day will keep body nourished
- drink at mealtimes, but not water alone, water mixed with fruits or teas are preferred
- take a short nap at midday to be healthy
- Do not eat too much and make sure your food and drink is neither too warm or too cold
- Raw foods are hard on the stomach, cook your dishes
- Take a walk after your evening meal
Sign Up For Our Free Fasting eBook
Inspired by Hildegard for detoxification, weight loss & improved metabolism!