This homemade turmeric drink (tisane) is warming, spicy, aromatic and does not contain caffeine. Recommended to add a little fat to aid in digestion of turmeric’s health properties.
Homemade Spiced Turmeric Drink
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 inch piece of fresh turmeric root, peeled and chopped into ‘coins’
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cinnamon stick, toasted
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 green cardamom pods, crushed to release seeds
- I inch whole strip of orange peel
- 1 tbsp of honey or agave nectar
- 1 cup of coconut milk
Put the turmeric, ginger, cinnamon stick, peppercorn, star anise, cloves, cardamom and orange peel into a pan with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant. Turn the heat to low and steep for additional 3-5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in honey/agave.
Strain and discard solids.
Warm and froth the coconut milk, or other milk of your choice and gently pour into the tisane. Serve immediately.
Sign Up For Our Free Fasting eBook
Inspired by Hildegard for detoxification, weight loss & improved metabolism!