A delicious, light and healthy soup, this gluten-free and vegan alternative will warm you from the inside during the cold winter months.
Chestnuts hold a very special place Hildegard’s nutritional teachings. In addition to their many health benefits, chestnuts are also extremely tasty and digestible. In today’s gluten-conscious and celiac-sensitive world, chestnuts have a unique appeal because they are gluten-free.
Chestnuts add some variety to the kitchen and represent a healthy alternative snack for in between meals. Not without reason, the sweet chestnut was named tree of the year 2018 in Germany.
Ingredients (4 Persons)
- 1 onion
- 500 gr potatoes
- 300 gr roasted and peeled chestnuts (see notes)
- 30 gr butter
- Handful of marjoram
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into small cubes.
- Coarsely chop half of the roasted and peeled chestnuts and set aside. Halve the remaining chestnuts.
- In a large pot melt the butter, add the onions and sauté until transparent. Add potatoes and sauté for about 2 minutes. Stir in the halved chestnuts and continue to sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the marjoram, add the stock and bring to the boil. Cook at medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Depending on your preference, the soup can also be pureed.
- Serve soup in pre-warmed bowls and a sprinkling of chopped chestnuts.
How to Prepare Roasted Chestnuts:
Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F / gas mark 6.
To prepare roasted chestnuts, use a sharp knife to make an X on the rounded side of chestnut, cutting through to the nut. Roast for about 25 minutes.
Remove the skins of the chestnuts (both the hard outer brown shell and the fluffy inner skin). It helps to crack them vertically and then peel away the shell. Some will break in half, just use the pieces.
More info about chestnuts in our post about how to cook chestnuts and the health benefits of chestnuts.
Sign Up For Our Free Fasting eBook
Inspired by Hildegard for detoxification, weight loss & improved metabolism!